Sunday, June 3, 2012

Chios!

Moving on to Chios, my last adventure of April 2012! So, after my mom and aunt left, Kara and I more or less just decided to go to Chios one weekend, which was great because a) we had magnificent weather, and b) I got my passport stamped for Greece! Whaddup! And it has a boat on the stamp. Even better!

So the night before we headed over to Çesme (still don't know how to get all of the Turkish alphabet on my keyboard) and stayed in the Papillon Hotel. Don't stay there. It was super sketch and the man at the front desk knocked on our door in the middle of the night for our passports. It was awful and I'm mad I spent money there. Bonus, however: I now know that there is a slim chance I could stay anywhere sketchier, so that's a small comfort.

We took the nine o'clock ferry over to Chios, which was glorious... I love boats. I missed water. I need more friends with boats. 





Booooooats.
And because we were starving from avoiding being murder victims in a bad horror movie about traveling Americans on holiday in Europe (so over-done), we grabbed some lunch, where I learned that a) pictures on menus are often times misleading, and b) I am bad at eating lamb chops.

Fries: delightful. Lamb: too much labor for me.
Our first priority was finding a beach, and at our new friend in the tourism office's suggestion, we took a taxi our to Karfas and relaxed like ballers.

In the Aegean again, but this time, the Greek Aegean!



The rest of our time spent on Chios was very food-oriented. For example, I can be found completing my main priority in the following picture.


Eating a Greek salad in Greece. Look at all the cheese!

Culinary downside: no restaurant we went to had seafood. Super suck-tastic. But the place where we had dinner (and Greek salad!) was really good, and I got some crazy beef orzo thing that I would totally get again.


Also: gyros. Too much mayo. Zoinks.


The best thing of all, however, was this frozen yogurt place that we were conveniently present for the grand opening of called Yogurt Berry (I think). Let me just say that this is the best business plan in the history of all business plans. Let me also say that this may or may not be how PinkBerry works, which I would not know because I have never been there.

So in Yogurt Berry you grab a cup in the size of your choice and fill it with frozen yogurt in the flavor of your choice. Then, you add any and all toppings you want and just weigh it. And then you pay... in euros, but who cares. Holy cow. I think we had this three times. It was phenomenal, and healthy! I think I had pomegranate twice and banana-mango once; pomegranate was obviously better, like you even need to ask. They also had mastic-flavored yogurt, because mastic is like this signature thing Chios is known for, but I wasn't crazy about it. Stick with what you know, am I right?

Pictured: banana-mango yogurt, vanilla cookies,
strawberries, and pineapple. Aye caramba. 

No comments:

Post a Comment